Hibiscus Herbal Skin Benefits
Exploring the benefits of this "Botox" Flower
Hibiscus has a bunch of skin boosting ingredients that are gentle and effective. As part of our journey into herbalism and herbal skincare, we take a look at this beautiful natural ingredient.
Rich in Antioxidants: Key fighters in preserving skin health. Hibiscus flowers boast a the particular Antioxidant known as "Anthocyanscides or Anthocyanins" that fight free radical damage, oxidative stress and UV radiation. These aggressors are some of the leading causes of premature aging in the skin leading to redness, irritation and fine lines or wrinkles. Vitamin C is also present in Hibiscus, naturally brightening and balancing ingredient for skin tone.
Offers Intense Hydration: Due to the high mucilage properties of Hibiscus, this herbal ingredient is beneficial to increasing hydration in the skin. Acting as a humectant, and boosting the moisture retention of the skin.
Gentle Exfoliation: Hibiscus gently brightens the skin through combo of naturally occurring AHA acids such as (Phytic, Mandelic,Azaleic,Pyurvic). These AHAs combined with the mucilage properties provide a gentle, brightening exfoliation. Vitamin A, known at the anti-aging Vitamin is present in Hibiscus as well.
Improved Elasticity: Hibiscus got it's nickname the "Botox" plant for its ability to improve the elasticity of the skin superficially, as a result also toning the skin to shrink the appearance of pores temporarily. Studies have shown a 30% reduction in the appearance of wrinkles attributed to the plants ability to elastase and hyaluronidase breakdown of connective tissue .*
Anti-Inflammatory: Hibiscus also acts as an anti-inflammatory, redness reliever.
Ways to use it:
- Drink it! Hibiscus Tea provides great internal benefits for your skin.
- Make and Herbal Face Steam, infuse a few tablespoons of the fresh or dried flower and soak up the steam as it brews. Then drink!
- Hibiscus infused water for toner. Instead of drinking the tea, bottle the infusion and use as a hydrating toner for a few days!
- As and exfoliant, a teaspoon of powdered Hibiscus with some organic greek yogurt for additional exfoliation and Honey. Apply for 2-5mins and then remove.
- Detox Mask. Mix some powdered Hibiscus with some bentonite clay to detox the skin. Add a little match green tea powder for extra antioxidants and aloe vera gel to soothe.
- Try our DIY Mask Below!
DIY Herbal Hibiscus Hydrating Mask
- 1 tsp. Hibiscus Flower (Powdered)
- 1 tsp. Organic Blueberries (Fresh or dried) just be sure to mash them up a bit to get the juices flowing!!
- 1 tsp. Organic Rose Water
- 1 tbsp. of Aloe Vera Gel
Mix together, and apply right away. Let sit for about 5-10mins and rise away.